Wednesday, 27 June 2012

Dominique Ansel Bakery Revisited

Dominique Ansel Bakery (189 Spring Street, New York)

Our first morning in NYC and we took a mini trek to Soho to procure some fresh baked Parisian treats from Dominique Ansel Bakery. In April, I tried to DKA for the first time and it was love at first bite. I decided it would be a good bet to try out some of his other delightful treats to start the day off right.



Almond Croissant 
An excellent croissant. Crispy, fall apart,  flaky exterior with an interior as light as a cloud. Layers and layers of butter must make up this delicate pastry and the almond custard was a creamy, sweet glob of goodness. The crunchy texture and flavour of the almonds on top were the perfect touch. 



Cannele de Bordeaux 
This is a classic French pastry and it was a 50/50 vote. My boyfriend loved it and I thought it was good but not great. I think it would have made a huge difference if it had been warm, right out of the oven (as I have read before on other blogs). It is caramelized on the outside with a spongy, custardy interior. For me it was slightly too chewy but it won over the taste buds of my boyfriend. A popular item nonetheless. 


DKA 
My ultimate favourite from Mr. Ansel. Take a near perfect croissant and caramelized the exterior = total perfection. The sweetness is not overpowering and the caramelized exterior provides the perfect crunchy texture. Still incredibly fresh (arrived at 930am), you can taste those incredibly buttery layers coat your entire   mouth.



No comments:

Post a Comment